Safety works confirmed for fatal collision road by 2019 - Europe News

Safety works confirmed for fatal collision road by 2019

  • 2 months ago
  • 3 views

Transport bosses have confirmed work to make Peckham High Street safer will begin in 2019 after an elderly man died crossing the road.

The council has put pressure on Transport for London to act faster after a pedestrian in his 70s died in a collision on the busy road last week.

The tragic death came exactly two years after pedestrian Mary O’Leary was killed in the same place.

In an emergency meeting called by the council on Monday, September 11, TfL confirmed it would consult on plans to improve the safety of the street in May 2018. Building work is then expected to begin in 2019.

Councillor Ian Wingfield, Southwark Council cabinet member for environment and the public realm, told the News: “Council officers met with TfL on Monday to discuss their long-standing proposals to improve pedestrian safety in the town centre.

“TfL say they will consult on these plans in May 2018, with construction beginning in 2019.

“We have put pressure on TfL to act faster and bring these dates forward.”

Police were called to Peckham High Street at 10.04am on September 4 to a pedestrian involved in a collision with a vehicle.

A resident who witnessed the scene said he believed the man may have been crossing the road with crutches when he was in collision with a truck, but this has not been confirmed by police.

Sadly the man died at the scene.

His next of kin were informed but police confirmed formal identification had yet to take place as the News went to press.